Translate

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Dia De San Sebastian




In January 2002, I made my "big" move to San Sebastian. I had only been there for a few days when I experienced one of the greatest festivals of all time. Dia De San Sebastian. So it was so great to come back and fully understand what the whole thing was about and to also know what to expect...Legend has it that the Donostians (people from San Sebastian) were sick and tired of the Brits and French that had total control over San Sebastian. So one day (Jan. 19th) they started to beat their pots and pans to "scare" off the Britz and smelly french. Now, its just another reason to drink and have a good time. It is a big deal for little kids to dress up in different uniforms and represent either the French, the Brits or different groups for San Sebastian. It is non-stop drumming for 48 hours. Its almost impossible to sleep during the weekend. So its a good idea not to drink too much.
My wonderful friend Katrin and I went out that night. I almost forgot the culture I love so much. The peeing freely in the streets, the loud and very annoying 19year old boys, the crowded bars filled with smoke. Katrina and I went to the Old Part (Parte Vieja) to experience the festival...we met up with some friend and we started doing what we do best, bar hopping. We didn't stop unil 8:30pm the next day. Here are some pictures from that day...


No comments: