Translate

Friday, June 28, 2013

Re-enacting 12 angry men....well, not so much

Exactly 8 months (almost to the day) my dad retired as being a State of Nevada District Judge, I get called into Jury Duty!  And the best part, I get called into Jury Duty for Dept. 8 (my dad's old department). Now, I was honestly very excited to be apart of a jury because I felt that it would be really cool to be apart of the judicial system.  I really didn't have much expectations to get picked because I felt that I may be a little too close to home but I wanted to see the entire process.

Boy what a process it was.....the first 20 people were pulled into the jury box and asked about 40 questions.  Some people had answers to every question, (questions, like, "do you know anyone that is currently apart of this case.") Other people just sat there and would speak only when spoken to.  It was the ones that spoken when not spoken to that I found to be quite hilarious.  They tried so HARD to get off jury duty.  One women told the Judge that she was a diabetic....when the Judge didn't dismiss her right away, I think the women panicked and so she started answering every.single.question with bat shit crazy answers. For example one of the questions was, "would you be willing and able to side with either side, if you felt that they had proven their case substantially?" This women raises her hand and says, "Well, no, to be honest, I go by feelings not by facts.  I'm a teacher and that's how I teach my kids....not to mention I'm a liberal, so I just go with my feelings."  Lord help us all!  

All and all it was a great experience.  I was never called up to be questioned and well, based on the questions they were asking, I wouldn't have lasted long....but it was funny and strange to see someone else sitting in the same seat my dad sat in for so long!  Kinda surreal really.

No comments: