It's funny being Homesick, it's not one of those things that can be fixed all that easy so most times you end up just tucking it away and try not to think about it. I have been gone from home for about 4 months now and I find that I get really homesick around week 6....the first 3 weeks you kind of go through this discovery bit, week 4 and 5 you decide to take the high road and week 6 you want off! When I moved to Spain, I would get homesick around times of bad weather or when I was sick. Here in Manila, it's usually when something monumental or exciting happens at home. Nevada beating Boise State this weekend, I was homesick...My family getting together for Thanksgiving dinner at Steve and Susie's new house, I was homesick.
My main struggle here in Manila is that at work, I'm the only American, I can't really talk about "American" things without sounding like a broken record or just conceded. When the elections were going on and I saw that Harry Reid won, I had no one to talk about it to. Not to mention it is a lot easier to not be homesick when you are able to relate to the culture you are in, here, I don't have that. The culture is great, but it is so different then what I'm use to it's hard for me to grasp. I have enjoyed my time here, but next time, Sam and Cora are coming with me!
No comments:
Post a Comment