So to begin this story you need a little background....
Here in Manila I go to Starbucks everyday at least twice a day. A few reasons for this one)it's cheap two)it's just below my office 3)I work about an average of 12 hours a day so it helps me stay awake.
Now if you remembered I was in an issue of Self magazine fully admitting my addiction to coffee, after that article was published I started to lower my coffee/caffeine intake but it has slowly crept back since moving here. Whoops!
So back to my story...the Starbucks I go to, all the employees know me, they know my order and they know I'll be back. One day on my second trip I received a promotion, if I filled out the survey online I would receive a free tall beverage. To me it was a total annoyance but to all the Starbucks emplyoees I was the luckiest person ever. One employee Marc said , "you should feel honored only like 1 out of 50,000 get this honor!". 1 out of 50k? Where the F did he get that satistic and how is it an honor to take time out of my life to fill out some stupid survey? What benefit do I get out of it, more Starbucks? God help us if that's the reason they are doing it. Not wanting to disappoint the very excited employees I decided to fill it out and at least tell Starbucks that this is the only starbucks that I actually like and that it's one thing that stays consistent while I'm here.
So I filled it out. Said a few nice things, named a few names and got the code for the free drink.
The next day I walk in the Starbucks, it's someone new, she actually asks me what my drink of choice is, surprised by this I tell her, "grande amaericano 1 raw sugar and non fat milk to top.". I then tell her I have a free drink code,"oh well that's for a tall, not a grande," I answer,"oh ok, well can you just make me a grande and I'll pay the difference?" "sorry ma'm but we can't do that," "why can't you do that, just charge me for a grande and I'll pay the difference," "no, ma'm we can't do that..." frustrated like a three year old whose mom just told her no because "she said so", I just stood there and stared. A few seconds later she says "tell you what ma'm I'll give you the three shot that are in a grande unlike the two in a tall..." I smiled and said,"that's terrific except I would prefer more water than coffee. Espresso can be very strong,". "oh ok ma'm I'll put it in a grande cup for you.". My smile gets bigger, "um,ok that's great. Thanks.". We get to the paying part and she takes my code and no money was exchanged. Baffled I stood there again and stared at her again, I really wanted to say to her, " so instead of me paying the difference you just give me a grande americano for free," worried I would confuse her with my theory, I walk away sipping my free grande americano drink.
No comments:
Post a Comment