Translate

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Roma at first sight...

As soon as we landed in Rome, we hit the ground running.  We had arrived at 6pm and took the train from the airport straight to the apartment I had found on Airbnb.  (by the way, I highly recommend Airbnb).  The area we were staying in Travstevere which is about 8 mins (by tram) from the center of Rome.  Everything was extremely convenient when using the tram because it dropped you off in all of the main areas.

Our very first encounter with Rome was the Colosseum.  It was amazing to see the look on Sam's face as we walked towards it, and one of the first things he said, "wow, I thought it would be bigger." I laughed and told him that I thought the same thing when I say it for the first time too.  One thing I did do before we left for our trip was purchase "skip the line" passes for both the Colosseum and the Sistine Chapel.  I HIGHLY recommend this!  We saved ourselves about 3 hours in line for the Colosseum and about 4 for the chapel.  Not to mention, there is so much history behind everything that it was amazing to have a tour guide to help you understand everything.  We walked all throughout the Colosseum and each view was more amazing then the one before. It really made you think about the history and the civilization during the time they actually went to events in the Colosseum. 

After we went to the Colosseum and the Forum we took advantage of the great weather and walked around Rome. Rome is full of side streets so it's very easy to wonder around because eventually you will run into a main street. For the rest of the day we saw and threw a coin in Trevi Fountain, sat and sun bathed the Spanish Steps and of course ate pizza and licked on gellato.


 

No comments: