Translate

Monday, October 15, 2012

Sneaking photos in the Sistine Chapel

Today we went to the Vatican City and toured the Sistine Chapel.  It was UNREAL.  The last time I was in Rome, I was told that the Vatican City was closed to the public due to a religious holiday.  Not knowing any better I took their word for it, only to figure out that its ALWAYS open because it's a COUNTRY! 

Anyways, today was the day that Sam and I got to experience the Vatican City and Sistine Chapel for the first time.  There were weather warnings that it was suppose to be lighting and flash floods so we brought our umbrellas and started walking to the city.  We walked along the Tiber River towards the Vatican City.  Sam asked me, "Are you sure we're going the right way?"  I pointed up and said, "As long as we walk towards that dome (Saint Peter's Basilica) we'll be fine." 

Again we bought our "skip the line " passes and boy were we glad we did that, as soon as we arrived to the entrance of the Vatican Museum it started raining cats and dogs.  We were lucky enough to get an amazing tour guide who was a master in art.  Sam liked her because she was very easy on the eyes, I liked her because she gave more than the, "this is blah blah from blah blah", she actually gave the history behind the art and the artist. 

As we walked through the museum we couldn't help but be in awe of the amount of items this place had.  Not to mention the history of everything. As we approached the Sistine chapel we were given a lecture on how NOT to take pictures, but the tour guide told us that, since there are so many people and so few security guards, it's not hard to sneak in a picture or two.  She just bagged us not to use a flash.  As we walked in we bumped up against people all of which were looking up...to see the famous painting by Michelangelo, The Creation of Adam.  It was simply amazing however, I have to say, I thought it was bigger, but than again, I have only seen that image, not the other images that surround it.  As I looked around I noticed that a lot of people were taking pictures right in front of the guards.  So I of course snuck my iPhone out and turned it to the screen side and started shooting away.  I got a few good pictures, Sam pretended he didn't know who I was.  But in the end, he was excited I took them. 

One funny thing about the Sistine Chapel.  They ask for you to remain silent.  But there is about 1000 people in the room as the same time, including tour guides.  So it does get loud in there.  The guards would make a shush noise to quite everyone down, and then would play a recording in about 16 different languages to tell everyone to be quite. 

After the Sistine Chapel we walked into Saint Peter's Basilica we were in total awe of the dome as well as the Pietà  by Michelangelo.  While we were inside there was some time of procession going on that I swore were with Orthodox Priests because the majority of them had long beards and were wearing a Kamilavka.

After the Basilica we went straight to the post office and mailed our family a post card from the smallest country in the world! 







 

No comments: