Translate

Monday, April 22, 2013

Sam VS. The Fence

A few weeks ago, after a major wind storm, our side fence protested and fell down.  Two of the four posts completely broke in half!  Sam and I not really knowing what to do, called for estimates.  Both estimates were what we thought extremely high, but in their defense  it was to build a whole new fence.  Not wanting, or needing to build a whole new fence we do the DIY route.  The first task was figuring out how to put new posts in.  After understanding that the original posts were secured with concrete and that said concrete had adhered to the concrete patio, we felt that the best way was to secure the fence by using brackets that are screwed into the concrete slab. This helped us avoid the headache of having to buy a jackhammer to break the concrete up (in the hole). After about 7 hours of very seriously hard work, we finished.  I'm totally impressed with Sam, he really did a wonderful job, I really was the person that stood on the 2x4 while he cut and I also hammered the boards (re-used) into the new posts.  Not to mention, I ran 5 miles that morning and Sam was suffering from Captain Morgan's revenge.

Also I'd like to add, we reused a lot of the old material, not bad for Earth day right?

Here is a picture of the before and after!  We (I) will be staining the fence in two weeks!


No comments: