Translate

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

I'm moving to the Philippines! Wait, what?!


As some of you know this Saturday I will be on a plane for roughly 18 hours to Manila Philippines. Now some of you may not know how that happened, heres the story.

Right around my 29th Birthday I was told my the vendor I was working for at Microsoft that I would no longer be needed any longer. HUGE SHOCKER! When I started the job back in March I was told that I would be trained, shadowed and given a mentor....NONE of this happened! I was set up to fail and was expected to be an expert in something that would take an intellegent person (which I consider myself) several months to learn, which was something they told me in my interview. In the end, they let me go...

But it doesn't end there....and we all know, "when one door closes another one opens."

The very next week I was called in for an interview for a different vendor for Microsoft. I went into the interview and ended up going to about another 3 more over the course of a few weeks. The job would consist of me travelling to Manila Philippines for a couple of weeks, come home and then go back over the course of 6 months. I would help open a Microsoft over there. Basically my job would consist of Managing the Transformation from the United States to Manila. Its a HUGE opportunity! When they offered me the job they asked me to move to Manila for 6 months. I said no, they then asked me what I could do, I told them I would go if I was able to come home atleast twice during the 6 months and also Christmas. They agreed. It took a lot out of me for a couple of days to finally make a decision, but after talking with Sam and having his support as well as my parents, I accepted the job. One of the main reasons why I took the job was because the person I would be working under has been a very successful Senior Project Manager for several years. My main goal is to learn as much as I possibly can learn from him! Another reason, I have the support that I need from Sam! We both know it is going to be extremely dificult, but this is a once in a life time opportunity and it is only for 6 months.

Ever since I made the decision, I have been trying to grasp the fact that I will be moving over there for a couple of months. IT'S CRAZY to me to think that a year ago I was working at IGT begging for a raise, hoping for some changes and doing the same old same old...And now, I'm moving to the Philippines. I'm really looking forward to the adventure! I will keep you all posted on my 6 month adventure!

1 comment:

DPPC8 said...

Oh, I read this, so now I know the whole story. I am proud of you kiddo. You deserve great things and this is just on more step on your adventure!