As I sit here drinking my $2.15 grande non-fat latte with one brown sugar, I can't help but share a little fun fact with you all. The Philippines is completely Americanized. From the millions of malls, to the 7-11's to the Starbucks on every corner, its hard to say that I am in another country. I didn't really notice it until I talked to my dear friend Courtney and she saw me drinking a Starbucks on skype, "Is that a Starbucks you are drinking? The next thing you are going to tell me is you ate Subway for lunch." I laughed and replyed, "Yes that is a Starbucks, and actually I had a 6in Turkey Sub from Subway for dinner lastnight, and to wash it down I had a Curs-lite!"
Oh the irony. It is expected that there will be a McDonalds no matter where you go in the world. But when I lived in Spain all I wanted was Starbucks, a Subway and good ol fashioned "American" Hamburger. Here, you can get all three!
I have tried Philippine food, its very good. A lot of fish, a lot of pork. They put fruit (Mango and Pineapple) in just about everything you can get your hands on. They aren't big in the vegtable department atleast not in the way I would like it. They have a lot of veggies but its usually fried, boiled or covered in sauce. The are really big into fast food. There are McDonalds, Wendy's (YUCK!), El Pollo Loco and Subway. But they have their own brands as well. The other day I saw, "Lydia's Food Stand" I had to take a picture and share with you all....thought that was pretty funny. Haven't seen a Keri's Taco Shop or Sam's Tavern yet, but I'll keep my eyes open!
(The picture of the "girl" sitting on the "Panda" is so funny! They have thes battery like things that are covered up to look like Pigs, Pandas, Brown Bear and a Whale. I had to take a picture to share!)
No comments:
Post a Comment